Monday, June 30, 2008

New Month's Eve Sampler

Wow. Ants. One small ant = weak. Thousands of ants = powerful. I thought i was just being paranoid yesterday morning at about 6am when i got up to use the choo and returned and i put my foot up to the window and saw a couple ants crawling on it. Then i waved my flashlight around the room and saw that thousands of tiny ants were covering nearly every square inch (or centimenter i guess) of cement floor, and had created quite a trail along the perimeter of the wall. I started yelling and did the typical "ahhhheughhhhghghg" and ran outside of my room and just yelled "WADUDU" which means insects right into my sisters' face. I was shaking every inch of my body and literally had "Ants...in my pants." She ran and grabbed a heavenly can of bug spray aka straight up poison (not fda regulated..ahhh breathe it in) which she sprayed all over the floor. I then swept the thousands of ants out of my room after allowing time for them to cease living and then washed all of my clothes. At least it was a Sunday which meant I had no school and really had nothing better to do.

There was no clear source of this en masse ant movement, so I think the only reason was that I had literally just hours before spoken to my parents on the phone while in my room and when they asked about the bugs I said that there were actually more bugs in my place in DC and had a nice little chuckle. The ants must have started organizing their forces at that moment so as not to be shown up by the district of columbia.

I tried to post some pictures but it didn't work again...sooo you'll have to just settle for my cell phone number, which i just purchased. I can send and receive text messages most of the time which is pretty cool. Feel free to send me some love!

+255 (country code) 078 395 1912

Happy new month's eve!

8 comments:

Frank said...

Sorry to hear about the infestation. We just dealt with our own ant problem here at Cherry Farm. Glad to hear you got phone...Love you...

Unknown said...

Mambo vipi dada? Mimi ninafanya kazi pamoja na rafiki yake - Sharon Brett. Nilikuwa PCV-Tanzania kama wewe na nilikaa Mzumbe Sekondari - karibu Morogoro kwa miwaka miwili. Halafu, nilikaa Dar kwa mwaka moja.

Hi there! I work with Sharon and was a PCV in TZ from 2000-2003. My first two years I was a teacher at Mzumbe Sec. - Morogoro was my nearest town for banking and internet. How is training? Who are your trainers? Are Johari, Kiobya, Katherine, Jumapili, or Vicki there? What about Thomas Msuka for education? Please give them greetings from my husband (Mathayo Graham) and I (Tara Wilson)!

sbrett said...

Meesh - I heard from Kamin that you were doing the PC in the TZ and sent your blog to my coworker, Tara, who also was a PC volunteer there. Hope you're having fun!

Nana said...

Meesh,
Yuch! Hope the ants leave you alone for the rest of your stay. It must have been challenging to close your eyes and sleep the next night. Looking forward to your next post. Miss you so.
Love, Mom

partera said...

Jeez, it seems to be the week of Santoro family bug problems-- we got roaches, courtey of a demolition a few doors down unleashing 30 years worth of pent up bugs!

Sorry to hear it Meesh! Hope to call you in the next day or two. And get a little package off as well!

trish said...

Meesh!! You sound fantastic. I am in DC, but of course it is not the same without you! I will try calling you soon- Miss you!

CDC said...

Meesh,
If anyone could handle thousands of swarming bugs it could be you or Binde Irwin. We received your letter at the Duber today! I figured it was best to write that here as opposed to the old gmail account. Looks like things are going well. I miss you, especially during the hours of 2-5pm.

Unknown said...

It's funny you just had a run in with ants, when I was at Ft. Lewis they had anthills that are literally taller than people and you get fined 30k if you do anything to them.