Monday, June 9, 2008

Something to satisfy the empty stomach

So I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep up the meeshloaf/meatloaf metaphors (sorry to ruin the surprise if you didn't pick up on the connection), but I'm hoping I'll have enough up my sleeve to last for the 27 month duration of my time volunteering in Tanzania. Plus, it entertains me to think about how much it might annoy some people after the initial "aww, I miss that Meesh and her wacky sense of humor" phase wears off.

First thing's first. I would like to take the space to acknowledge the well known Olympic Gold Medalist in speed skating, Joey Cheek....not for contributing all of his winnings to needy kids in Darfur, but for utilizing his creativity and knack for useless word combinations to come up with the term MEESHLOAF last summer while dining in the fine kitchen of 1453 Harvard Street...where dreams are made and then squandered due to excessive napping caused by the lack of light. I will miss that place. So yes, in July 2007, the word Meeshloaf was born, and despite all the other profound and remotely relevant titles I could have named my blog, I came back to this and decided it was the most appropriate fit for me...and for you, my avid readers I left behind. Plus, Meatloaf is just plain delicious, and also the singer of "Paradise By the Dashboard Light", a Santoro family favorite.

Cutting to the chase...it is 1:48am and in typical me fashion I am getting this blog up literally less than 5 hours before I need to check out of the hotel and begin the trek to Tanzania. For those of you who don't know or have short term memory loss, I am leaving the country to serve as a Health Education Peace Corps Volunteer in Tanzania for over two years. I don't really have the time at this moment to give you the textbook definition of what I'll be doing, but I promise to keep you updated as I'm doing it as frequently as possible.

Here's what I know:
1. I am currently sitting in a Holiday Inn lobby in Washington, DC where for the past two days I have gone to pre-departure training, which rekindled my love of ice breakers and impromptu group skits.
2. I have to check out at 5:30am and go to a government clinic to get some immunizations and start taking anti-malaria pills. The first thing that comes to mind when someone tells me they're shipping me off to a government clinic is pretty much a hatch scene from LOST, circa Claire's abduction by The Others in Season 2.
3. I fly out of Dulles at 3:30pm. We land in Frankfurt Wednesday morning deutsch time, then head to Zurich. From Zurich, we fly to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and arrive around 8pm.
4. My mailing address from June 11 until August 20 will be:
My name
P.O. Box 9123
Dar es Salaam
Tanzania

....aaaaand apparently it might actually get there. we will see what happens, but please be adventurous and try because I would love to receive actual written mail and do not want to have to write myself fake letters so that the other campers think I'm cool. (read: Danica from Wonder Years' character in the 1990 made for TV movie, Camp Cucamonga) http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Camp_Cucamonga/60035492

5. I will most likely not be able to get in touch for at least a week once I land, but i WILL be purchasing a cell phone so I'll be sure to put that number up once I have it. And you will have to call me, since it would most likely cost a small fortune for me to make an international call.

6. Once I land, myself and the 48 other people in my training class (we are all either health or environment trainees) head out to about 300Km outside of the big city of Dar es Salaam (henceforth shall be known as just Dar), to a district called Morogoro. We will stay at a hotel for 2 nights and get more shots and initial survival language training, until we go to the small town of Kilosa nearby and move in with our Host Families and new homes where we will be living for 10 weeks during Pre-Service Training (PST...does not mean pacific standard time, but that would be cool) So I will be living in Kilosa until August 20, at which point I will hopefully be sworn in as a volunteer and then assigned to the site where I will call home for 2 years.

7. I'm going to learn Swahili. Or Kiswahili. Or at least find out when I should say the Ki and when I can leave it out.

As you probably guessed, I'm feeling extremely excited but the slaphappiness is starting to simmer down as I realize my wake up call is for 4:40am, and it is now 2:15. I can't thank you all enough for the wonderful goodbyes and send-off parties. I appreciate all of your encouragement, advice, words of caution, and just plain old love that was heavily present along the east coast this past month. I'm really lucky to have friends and family that would put their livers and hearts through so much distress, just for the sake of a long farewell. It was truly inspiring.

The next serving of Meeshloaf (ha ha) might not be for a while, so grab a snack, check often and tell others, because at the dinner table of the world wide web, there's always an extra plate.

16 comments:

Nana said...

Great post Michelle. It is no surprise that we (Laurie, Mom and Jonah) are the first ones to read this early the morning of your departure! You never cease to amaze us and we can't wait for the next update. We love you! ...get some sleep! - Mom, Laurie & Jonah

partera said...

Is Meeshloaf vegetarian? I'm going to assume so...serve more up as soon as you can. love love love you,
christy

Unknown said...

Meesh, I'm hungry. Could I have another helping of Meeshloaf, please. I feel like there should be a song dedicated to Meeshloaf. "Starving for Meeshloaf", perhaps. I'll get back to you with lyrics...
Love you more than you know!

Christy said...

To use a favorite expression from Betty Greer of Greenspring Retirement Community, (in a thick southern accent): your blog is "so cute I could just eat it up with a spooooon"

Christy said...

Ooo I'll have to start signing off with a misty signature...That last comment is from Misty- not Christy Santoro :)

~Misty
(this from now on is "the misty signature": the spanish tilde and my name)

Unknown said...

mesh i hope you find someone at frankfurt aiport to come up and ask you "do you go to gw???" safe travels!!

Unknown said...

Love it! I am already addicted to Meeshloaf! Safe travels and enjoy it all...

Unknown said...

Can you teach me how to permanently block this site from my computer? That would be outstanding.

ppop said...

I feel honored to be the 9th blogger to comment as 9 was your number in most, if not all of your athletic endeavors. Can't wait to hear all about your adventures.

Miss you already,

love,

dad

Unknown said...

I am so psyched I get to follow your adventures and live vicariously through you. I jumped for the link when your sistah told me you had a blog. I can't wait for these kids to grow on up so we can do some similar medical mission type travels.
carrie kimball

Unknown said...

Meesh, bon voyage and man are you off to a beautiful place! Well, at least you'll think that while in Dar es Salam. Can't wait to hear about your adventures with the wild and wooly peace corps and all the people you will meet and stories of helping so many in such great need. JT

Unknown said...

MEESSSHHHLOAF.... Tanzania is lucky to get a taste of some meeshloaf! Hope you took some good old Heinz 57 with you for it! I miss you can't wait for some more updates!!

Franny Bradley said...

Hi Michelle,

You are amazing and me and Mom look forward to reading all about your amazing trip. You and your parents are also teaching me a good lesson - I'm stressing over Peter's fall 2008 semester in France, and here you are going all the way to Africa. ANd your parents are dealing with it very gracefully (I think). Way to go all of you!

We wish you love and luck and will check in often.

Franny Bradley & Camillus Eisele

ppop said...

Meeshie,

Great to hear from you and I hope that you have an ample supply of Pepto. Sounds like you are having a great time with your new family. Let us know what is happening as we love our slices of Meeshloaf and can't wait until we get one every day.
Miss you. love, dad

ppop said...

Just checking in. Sounds like things are going well. Good luck in the choo. Be on the lookout for a 16 wheeler semi headed your way an ample supply of toilet paper.

love,

dad

pat oswald said...

Michelle,

Through your words, wonderfully humorous and descriptive. I am seeing Africa in a whole new way. I love it.
Thanks,

Pat Oswald