Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ratatouille..the dead kind



I can only wish that the rats that lived with me could cook like that little lovable cartoon chef of a rat. Instead, they are offering the spices of feces and urine which unfortunately don't go well with my rice. So, to put it nicely, I fed them a form of poison that ultimately resulted in their death. This is the only time i'm going to use the poison, though..I've got a kitten coming my way in a couple of weeks from the secondmaster, so we'll let nature take it's course after that.


I'm trying to attach a picture of one of the orphans, Anna, in my village. There are apparently many many orphans and whenever I ask where they live, people just respond in the local language by saying "they exist." This has made my search a little difficult, but thanks to the headmaster of the primary school I have a good start..many of the children's parents died when they were only 2-5 years old, and they are living with bibis, babus or aunts that barely have enough food and money to take care of their own kids, let alone to send the orphaned children to primary school. So I am trying to start a group for the orphans and their caretakers..eventually hoping to do sustainable projects but for right now I am trying to find sponsors (like you guys) to help those who are finishing up primary school secure funds to go to secondary school. (Primary school is free, but secondary school isn't) Otherwise, being an out of school orphan puts you in pretty much the highest risk category there is for a kid in Tanzania to get pregnant, STI's, HIV or all of hte above. So let me know if you are interesting in sponsoring an orphan, just so I can get an idea..I think there are about 30-40 in my village.
This is a short entry but just wanted to throw in a pic of my house (its the one in the center there in between all those trees) I am going to try and upload more since this one worked, maybe I'll be back next week for some quality photo upload time. Glad to hear the Steelers are 2-0, and thanks to those who have already written letters to my new home..I got them pretty quickly! (Jenee, mom and pat oswald...thank you!) Alright this is rambling so I'm gonna go and try to find some more orphans. Bye bye!

4 comments:

mom said...

Rats...Hate to admit it, but I feel better knowing Kate is not the only one with rats. She too is awaiting a kitten. Be safe and know you all will make a difference in the lives of your village. Thinking of you all often.Carol Kate's MOM

Nana said...

Meesh,
I knew about the rats (for you and other PC workers)and hope that it is getting under control. Maybe your adoption of a kitty will correct your rat problem in the future (Oh the twins,L,T,J and I just watched Disney movie about the orphan kitty,Oliver as Luca hugged your Oliver stuffed animal kitty). Count us in on sponsoring Anna or another child. God bless you and your work with orphans. Look forward to more pictures. Miss you so. GO Steelers.
Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Meesh you know I'd be down for sponsoring one. Just let us know! Maybe I can meet them when I come to visit then! Miss you lots.... unfortunately the Steelers lost to Phiily this weekend I'm sure you heard... BOOO. But Love you and Miss you lots! Be safe

Kelley Price said...

from Ryan-

Hey Meesh we miss you and are looking at your website. The Phillies won. We were at the game!
Love Ryan .