Thursday, August 7, 2008

Meeshloaf con Queso



I'm on the move! It's currently shadow week and I am staying with a current volunteer in the southern highlands, near the town of Njombe. It took a 10 hour bus ride to get to Njombe and then another hour and a half really small bus ride to her village. On the smaller bus, there are these nimble men who can scale the sides of the bus much like spiderman. I was just riding and then saw a shadow outside the window directly to my left that turned out to be a man who was just climbing around, making sure the bags were staying on top. The scenery is gorgeous out here, and the weather is actually pretty cold..kind of like late winter weather. This has resulted in a lack of sweating, which myself and I'm sure those around me appreciate greatly. Another important fact is that Njombe has cheese, and lots of it! I guess I should have put this before cheese, but the president of Tanzania actually visited her small village the day before I arrived, which everyone was pretty excited about. The girl I am shadowing is an education volunteer named Laura, and she teaches math at the local school. Her house doesn't have electricity or running water, but it is brand new and she keeps it in really great condition. Myself, Linnea (a fellow trainee) and Laura all thankfully love cheese and baking so we were able to make some delicious food, including a mexican night where I made guacamole, Linnea made salsa, and Laura made some sort of cheese dip that was pretty much like fondue. It was so good and a nice change from rice and beans. You might also have noticed I was finally able to upload a couple photos (how observant of you). These are some pretty great ones from the safari at Mikumi. Thanks to the awesome zoom on my camera (thanks DGI!), I was able to get some pretty amazing pictures. I wish I could do mass uploads but it seems that the java script is still the enemy of all the computers in Tanzania so far, so I can only do a few at a time.
I'm heading to Dar on Sunday and will find out my site announcement on Tuesday..so I'm really looking forward to finding out where I'll be for the next couple of years, and then for all of you guys who want to come visit, we can start planning some trips. Did Brett Favre really get traded?
Also, HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!! I'd appreciate a text after the pre-season game so I can know exactly how many more touchdowns we scored than the Eagles.
Feels great to have a break from homestay and get to see some more parts of the country...getting really excited to move to site. Hope everyone's doing well!!

6 comments:

Frank said...

brett did get traded to the Jets and the Steelers play the Eagles in Pittsburgh on Friday. I'll let you now how badly the Steelers lose. Those are some amazing pictures! Keep enjoying the cheese and watchout for the spider-men. Love youand be safe.

Frank

Christy said...

Gorgeous pictures! I can't wait to see more. It was so AWESOME to talk to you (several times) last Saturday!! Everyone of course loves the fact that you were at a bar singing karaoke when we called, I can't believe our timing on that. Thanks for the email about Nobel calling cards, they were great, good customer service like everyone said. I'll call you soon, we can't wait to hear where your site assignment will be!
Love you!
~Misty

Nana said...

Wow! Great pictures, you look soooooo close to that elephant but I know how good your zoom is on your new camera. You seem to be really enjoying your shadow week and a change of scenery. PLUS you have CHEESE, cheese, cheese and no SWEATING. Perfect combo for a great week. Looking forward to hearing your site too.
God bless you and keep you safe.
Love, Mom

partera said...

Heya meesh! Wow-you got a lot closer to that elephant than I did in india! Great pics!
Martin and I are sitting in a waiting room for him to get an mri of hus ankle injury-wish him luck! He says hi and 'Go Jets!'
Love you!
Christy

Unknown said...

I, like Misty will be taking a huge step and purchasing a calling card to call you as well and can't wait! As for your package- let me know ASAP you get your new address over there and I will send the package then, so you have a nice new package for your new home :) !! You are going to love it! But also, I am thrilled to confirm that my Jets have Brett Farve! Going to be an interesting season! J E T S JETS JETS JETS! And I always root for the Stealers for you ;) of course.
Pics are beautiful- miss you SO much and Love you!

MER

mom said...

How much fun you all were having the other day...glad to know the beer flows on both sides of the world. I will enjoy adding you to the blogs I read on all the sites. Hope you all are keeping journals of the amazing life..Who would beleive you girls could live with no bathrooms..no mirrors..no flatirons..Looking forward to my shout out//Kate's MOM